Saturday, August 6, 2011

This Week's Uncovered Treasures

 My yard sale adventures were spread over two days this week. I started watching the Craigslist garage sale ads on Wednesday night, and I'm so glad I did. There were a number of good looking sales beginning on Thursday morning, so I planned my route and loaded up the kids in the van. I was pretty happy with my haul on Thursday. I was mostly shopping this week with the intention of finding things (toys) to resell on Ebay.  Of course, my inspiration comes from Yard Sale Mommy!  Here are the details:

Part of Thursday's treasures



At one sale, I found the toys in the two pictures above.  This sale had lots of reasonably priced toys in great condition.  I bought the Chicken Dance Elmo for $1, Laugh and Learn Puppy for .50, Laugh and Learn mailbox for $1, Leap Frog pop-up toy for .50, and the Baby Einstein CD 6 pack for $3. I'm not planning on selling the Leap Frog toy anytime soon. I bought this one for my youngest son, and he LOVES it. The seller was asking higher prices for some of the items, but she cut me a deal. YAY! She even threw in the blue elephant lovey that you see to the right of the picture for free. :)  At a sale next door, I found 3 books for my inventory at .10 each.

 

Next, I stopped at a sale that wasn't on my planned route, but I stumbled upon it on the way to another sale.  This one was an estate sale. They didn't have much I was interested in, but I did find the two items above.  The vintage Fisher Price puzzle is in near perfect condition, and I remember reading on Yard Sale Mommy that these are decent sellers. I also found this antique Cootie game. I totally bought this for myself. My grandparents had this early version of the game, and I used to love playing it with them when I was a kid. I looked it up on ebay just for fun, and I may just be tempted to part with it. It has all the pieces, so it may just sell! 


I got Uno Attack for $1. This one is for my family.  It's a fun game.  The little Blues Clues plush was .25. I'll probably save him and hopefully add him to a Blues Clues lot some day.


This bamboo bowl is for me. :)  It's hard to tell from the picture, but it's pretty big and will make a nice centerpiece to put on my kitchen island. Now I just have to find something pretty to go inside. $3.


My Little Pony!!! I was SOOOO happy to find this huge box of MLP's. Last week I found a My Little Pony Crystal Castle, and I needed more ponies to put with it before listing.  Well, here they are! The seller was asking .50 each.  I offered her $5 for the whole box, but she didn't bite. She counted them up and found that there were 37 ponies in the box, which would have earned her $18.50 if they sold individually.  She agreed to sell me the whole box for $10, and we were both happy. I paid about .29 per pony. This gives me plenty of ponies to list with the castle, and save for future listings. Now if only I could find some MLP furniture.


When I got home and started sorting through the ponies, I was very happy to find 4 vintage G1 ponies mixed in among the newer ones. What made me happiest was finding the girl in the picture above. Meet Sundance.  I had one just like her when I was a little girl.  She came in a set that included Megan, a little doll.  I still have my Megan doll in her original dress, a Molly doll (she came with a baby Sundance), and even Sundance's bridle.  This will make a nice ebay listing if I can derail my emotional attachment. :)

That was the end of day 1. I spent a total of $22.55.

Now for day 2. I loaded up the kids again on Friday morning to hit some sales in another neighborhood. I'm not as happy with my Friday finds, as I think I made a pretty expensive mistake with some Polly Pockets. Shoot!


I found two big banana boxes full of Polly's.  They were in a very disorganized mess, but I saw a lot of things in the boxes that looked good.  The seller was originally asking $44 for everything, but agreed to sell them for $30.  I quickly checked some things my ebay app while I pretended to continue shopping. I feel like people know what I'm doing when I look things up on my phone, and it makes me nervous.  I don't want to give myself away, so I try to be quick about it. Unfortunately, that means I don't always get enough information to make a good decision. I looked at a listing for the Polly Cruise Ship, and figured that with that and everything else in the box, there was money to be made. I bought it for $30. I almost NEVER spend that much at one garage sale. It was scary!

After sorting through the box at home and doing some more research on ebay, I was pretty disappointed with my Polly purchase.  I should be able to recover my costs if I'm smart about how I list it, but it won't be the money maker I was hoping for.  There are lots of Polly's, including one boy, and lots of clothes, furniture, and houses. There is also a Polly jumbo jet, but it doesn't seem like those sell very well. I think my kids will end up keeping the jet and a few Polly's. They've never played with Polly Pockets before, and they really liked them. I guess it wasn't a total loss if it makes my kids happy.


Also in the Polly box were these little Sweet Secret toys.  I was happy to see the results when I looked for them on ebay.  These little toys might just make my Polly purchase a little more profitable. They are in near perfect condition.



These books are all from one sale, and they were priced at 5 for $1. Yay!  Some of them will go into inventory until I collect enough for a nice lot, and the others are for my kids. My kids are already loving the books I've been finding at yard sales. It's fun to read new books every night, rather than the same ones we've already read hundreds of times before.


Yet another sale had tons of shoes with very reasonable prices. I got 5 pairs for my daughter, and 1 pair for my son for only $5!!!


I'm in love with these cute Tommy Hilfiger shoes! They need to be cleaned up, but they are in great shape. They were only .50!!!

 

This last picture was a surprise to me.  I could tell that my husband was pretty interested in this little ebay endeavor I started, but he hasn't admitted it. He came home from work yesterday with these two little gems.  These are 16" Toy Story 2 dolls.  Woody is a Disney Store exclusive plush toy. Jessie is a talking, interactive toy. She even blinks. I had a hard time finding information about this exact doll since she's from Toy Story 2, but I finally figured out that she came in a set with a talking Woody. The two dolls actually interact with each other when they're together.  I can't find one exactly like her on ebay, but hopefully someone out there is looking for their Woody doll's counterpart.  My husband paid $4 for both dolls. I'm so proud of him!

On day 2, I spent $40 and my husband spent $4. That makes my total for this weekend $66.55.  That's a lot for me to spend on one weekend of yard sale shopping, so I decided to stay home on Saturday and leave some deals for someone else.  Besides, I have lots of work to do. Now that I have my shipping scale and a small supply of boxes, it's time to start preparing some listings. Wish me luck!!!

I'm linked up this week with Yard Sale Mommy and My Life on a Taffy Pull. Head over to those blogs to view more uncovered treasures!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing finds! I hope you make lots of money with all those treasures! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got some awesome finds! I love the vintage puzzle, reminds me of my childhood play. :) And the shoes were an incredible price, especially for the condition! Great work spotting some money-makers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome finds! I think you will make a quite a bit of money with the ponies. I am collecting books too - I will have to trade you my one Boxcar children for your Junie B. jk lol - Oh and the bamboo bowl is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post. I just started too, and my husband has been also stopping by thrift stores looking for us. I think your Polly Pockets will sell if you separate them. I also found Jessie's hat to sell as a replacement. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I wish my husband would stop by thrift stores for me. Although I'm not sure what he'd come home with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome finds! Any tips on going to garage sales with kids?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Fisher Price puzzle. I had one just like it when I was a kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle, I only have 2 tips for garage sale shopping with kids. Bribery and snacks. I tell my kids that if they're good at the garage sales, we'll swim in the pool when we get home. I also make sure to bring along sippy cups with water and plenty of snacks. Oh, and always, always, ALWAYS make them use the bathroom before you go out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You found some super cute stuff!! I am on the lookout for the dog puzzle you found! I had it as a kid and my mom wont let me have it. Hope you do well on eBay this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds and great tips for yardsaling with kids. Bribery and snacks work well for me. I have also let them choose something at one sale or give them a certain dollar amount when they have to go with me and they can use it that day or save it. My kids are 5,6 and 9 months. The older two actually like to go with me but I try to go alone when possible

    ReplyDelete