Monday, August 1, 2011

Dining Room Upgrade

It has been nearly 6 months since we brought our precious little girl home from Ethiopia.  I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize that we're a family of five.  After multiple miscarriages and fearing that we would never be able to have any more children, it is a huge blessing to now have three kids. Becoming a family of five has meant that we've had to make a lot of adjustments in our home.  One of the most recent adjustments we realized was the need for a larger dining table.


The dining set we've had for the last 4 years was a hand-me-down from my grandmother.  It was never really our style, but it was a really nice set made of solid oak. It served us well, but only had 4 chairs.  Our youngest is still using his high chair, so it hasn't been a problem yet, but we knew we had to do something about it in the near future.  I kept looking at yard sales for an extra chair that would somewhat match, but never really found one that was cheap enough or matched quite right.  I knew that buying a new set wasn't an option for us.  I just can't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a new dining set that my kids are sure to ding up.

Then one day I saw this beautiful dining set on Craigslist.  It was only 2 years old, made of solid wood, had six chairs, totally our style, and they were only asking $200.  I knew there had to be a catch, but I contacted the seller anyway to set up a time to look at it.  After talking with the seller, I found out what the catch was.  Her dog had chewed one of the legs pretty well, and there were chew marks in other areas as well.  We almost walked away, but I decided to at least take a look at it.  I'm so glad we did!  It was not chewed beyond repair. Since it was solid wood, all it needed was some wood putty, sanding, and a new finish for the legs.  The rest of the problem areas were easily fixed with a stain pen. $200 + a little elbow grease =


Want to see what I would have paid in the store? Here is the exact same set at Art Van.  It's on sale now for $1,099.99, and the original price (probably close to what it cost 2 years ago when it was purchased) was $2,299.99!  I'm so happy with this find! I love my new dining set, and I love the fact that it's used and not perfect.  This way, I don't have to worry so much about my kids being kids at the table.

I didn't waste any time posting our old dining set, and priced it at $250.  A day later, I had a buyer pick it up and pay the full amount in cash.  I managed to upgrade to a really nice dining set that fits our family, and I actually made $50! What a blessing! I love this simple life!

No comments:

Post a Comment