Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Adventures in Thrifting

So, I have to admit...I'm not a big thrift store junkie.  I would like to be, but thrift stores just aren't that great in my town. I rarely find anything worth while when I go. If I do find something I like, it's usually overpriced.  I've been reading the blogs of thrift store shoppers, and I'm so impressed with the deals they get.  Thrift stores in other cities must be WAY better than the ones in my neck of the woods.

My husband and I found ourselves with a couple hours to kill tonight because our kids were at vacation bible school.  We decided to go thrifting.  As always, I was pretty disappointed with the stores we went to.  There are a couple nicer thrift stores in our area, but both were closed already at 6:00pm.  The night was pretty much a bust.

I did manage to find one thing to buy tonight, and I almost didn't.  At the first store we went to, my husband found this little doll that was from the 1994 winter Olympics in Lillehammer.  It was still in it's original packaging, and priced at .50.  I laughed at first, but decided to look it up on my Ebay app for good measure.  All I could find was one active listing for a similar doll, and it was priced at $99. There were no completed listings. I really didn't think the doll could possibly be worth that much, so I put it back and moved on to another store.  I just couldn't get that doll out of my head though.  What if she was worth even half of that? It was only .50!  So we went back and got her.  I am now the proud owner of this...


I can't find much information about her, but dolls like her are listed on other sites, anywhere from $25 - $100.  I can't find any evidence that people are actually buying though.  Maybe I'll keep her until the next Olympic games come around.  Maybe I will have better luck when the world has Olympic fever again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment