Wednesday, August 31, 2011

This Week's Uncovered Treasures

Between car troubles and the 5K race I had this past weekend, I really didn't think I would be able to make it to any garage sales.  It's SO hard for me not to go though, and I just had to go to at least one. I was home from my race by 9:45 am. (It was my first EVER 5K, and I beat my goal of finishing in 30 minutes.  My official time was 28:24. YEAH!) I quickly showered and headed out to the one and only sale that I didn't want to miss.  It was a huge sale that was being held at a church, and the proceeds from the sale were going to help an adoptive family with the costs of bringing their child home from Ethiopia. Obviously, a cause that is very close to my heart.  We had our own garage sale fundraiser just last summer, as we tried to raise some funds to bring our own Ethiopian daughter home.  I remember very clearly how encouraging it was just to have people come to our sale and wish us luck.  I vowed then that I would always attend adoption fundraisers when I heard of them.

When I arrived at the sale, it was almost 11:00 am. The signs said that starting at 11:00 am, you could fill a bag for $1. Score! They weren't handing out the bags yet, but I started filling my arms with loot.


I got all these books for $1.  Lots of early readers, golden books, and some other miscellaneous ones.  That's 20 books in all, so they were only 5 cents each!




Then comes my bag of clothes.  I didn't find anything really amazing, but they were dirt cheap.  1 women's large Adidas jacket. 3 men's XXL dress shirts.  One is Ralph Lauren.  Some girl's size large shirts, all decent brands (Abercrombie, Land's End, Gap), and a scarf for my daughter. I'm not sure which ones, if any, will sell on ebay. I do know that I can find someone who will appreciate them though.  10 articles of clothing stuffed into a bag = 10 cents each.


My third bag was full of kids shoes.  None of them are in good enough shape to resell, but they are still nice enough to wear. I bought them to bring to Ethiopia with me.  I'll be going back to Ethiopia this winter on a mission trip, and I know these shoes will be greatly appreciated.  6 pairs of shoes = about 17 cents each.

Now, knowing how much an Ethiopian adoption will set you back, I just couldn't walk out with all that stuff for only $3.  I did give them a little extra, along with some words of encouragement as I left.  They seemed like a great family who are going to give a great home to a child who needs one. :)

After that sale, I just wasn't quite finished.  I hadn't researched the garage sale circuit for the weekend, so I decided to try a thrift store that I had never been to.  My eyes about popped out of my head when I walked in.  It was huge!  I only bought a couple things, but I think I'll be back there soon after I do some ebay research.  I saw a lot of potential.


I bought these Christmas books with cassettes, both for 25 cents.  I thought I read somewhere that these sell on ebay, and I figured it was a risk worth taking at only 25 cents.


I also found these cute Corelle mugs.  I've been wanting to find some cute cups for my morning coffee.  Up until now I've been using some plain black (boring) ones that we got as a wedding gift.  I love the vintage look of these with the orange, green, and yellow, and the little mushrooms.  They remind me of the Corelle set my grandparents' used to have.  I got a set of 4 (one is already is use).  They were 50 cents each.

Sorry this post is so late.  It's been such a busy week here, getting ready for the kids to go back to school.  I'm linking up with Coupon Tipster and The Thrifty Momma Says.  Check out their blogs for more garage sale finds.

1 comment:

  1. Great treasures. My niece and nephew as well as one of my siblings were adopted from Ethiopia. I hope they raised a lot of money for such a wonderful cause:)

    ReplyDelete